East Orange New Jersey History
The East Orange Hall of Fame was officially inaugurated at the New Jersey State Museum of History in New York City on Saturday, March 11, 2017.
Larry Schumacher Sr. was born in Rich Square, North Carolina, and lived most of his life in East Orange, New Jersey. His brother, the late Kevin Fletcher, finished his college career at Rutgers University in New York City before his family moved to Eastwood. Larry worked his way up to assistant coach at the University of New Hampshire and then Princeton University. Wigfall returned to his alma mater, Penn State, to coach one of the most successful high school football teams in the country.
In his first season, he was beaten by an orange football team that won 8-1, but over the next few years, East Orange would contest four consecutive seasons in the New Jersey High School Football Conference (ECT). In what remains the most scoreless game in E-CT history, they won both the Big Ten and Essex County Championship in 1973 and won the Group 3 State Championship in 1973 against North Burlington High School, which finished fourth. In 1974, after a 39-game winning streak had broken, Lakewood derailed Eastlake and denied EO its fourth consecutive championship. They lost to Central for the Essex County Championship and then again to Eastwood for a third successive title.
A new section of Waterstones Park opened in 1916 and now stretches from Bloomfield Avenue in Bloomfield to Dodd Street in East Orange. It has been converted into a park with a playground, picnic area, play equipment and basketball court.
Bordered approximately by Bloomfield Avenue in East Orange and Dodd Street in West Orange and approximately northward on the east side of the park, from Dodd to the west side.
East Orange was officially divided into five districts, but it was also unofficially divided into a number of neighborhoods. South Orange, founded and organized on January 26, 1861 and later less than a year later, was to become part of West Orange. Fairmount was founded on April 1, 1863 in East Orange and merged with WestOrange on March 14, 1862. It was later reorganized and founded in South Orange and then again in North Orange in 1864, before being merged into West County on July 1 of the same year and again with East County in 1865.
South Orange Township was not allowed to raise taxes or borrow money until 1872, and the issuance of a village charter in 1869 led to the creation of South Orange Village, the first of its kind in New Jersey. Originally part of the city of Newark, West Orange remained so until the end of the 19th century, when the area that now includes the oranges was separated to form the city of Orange. Originally an agricultural part of the city of Newark, it remained as such until it was separated to form the Orange Township. In 1871 it remained in the same form, except for a short period when it broke away from the community and founded an Orange Township.
In November 1977, the voters of South Orange adopted a new charter for South Orange and changed its name to Township of South - Orange Village. East Orange became a separate township when the first elections were held on November 7, 1978, with a majority of votes in favour of a charter for the township. In November 1979, after a two-year period, it became an independent township, and in November 1980, just a few months after the first elections, it became EastOrange.
The riverside town that included land stretching from the Passaic River to Orange Mountain, as well as parts of what is now West Orange. South Orange was part of Newark until 1806, when today's oranges and maples were set aside as Orange Townships. In 1706, it was considered one of the most important sports cities in New Jersey, and many games were won, including football, baseball, basketball and football.
East Orange was originally incorporated as a township in part of the city of Orange, but was reincorporated into the city in 1804 following a referendum held two days earlier. In 1805, Orange was merged into one city, with East Orange as the second largest city.
The current Main Library, which opened in 1804 as the first public library in the city of East Orange, New Jersey, brought a new era of library service to the residents of EastOrange. Records show that between 1805 and 1808 there were at least three other public libraries in Orange, but no more than two or three in West Orange and one in South Orange.
The Metropolitan YMCA of the Oranges is the second largest youth organization in the state of New Jersey, serving 181,000 members and program participants annually. The history of the community began in 1808 when 10 merchants from Orange, New York and other parts of North Jerusalem met to found the Sharey Tefilo Community in Orange. In the 1960s, another settlement in western Orange led to the construction of a new synagogue, the East Orange Jewish Community Center. Although still a small percentage of the total population, Orange and Ostorange have the largest concentration of Guyanese - Americans in this country.